Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Launderlife: How I Got Here & Why I Stay


This post is dedicated to my true-life friends from YouTube and Facebook.  
 Without infertility, I never would have met you.   
I thank my lucky stars for you every day.

Those of us who are looking for support during our miscarriage, infertility, and pregnancy journeys sometimes turn to social media outlets like YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, blogs, and other online forums.  The reasons we migrate to communities such as these vary from person to person.  For me it started as a Google search for information about infertility experiences.  I felt "found" when I discovered that there were communities of women writing and vlogging about their journeys, struggles, and successes on their quest to motherhood.

I began blogging on Wordpress and made connections with fellow bloggers including those outside of the community.  It took me two miscarriages and a year of personal prodding to finally begin vlogging on YouTube in October 2010.  Blogging was a great experience, but I lost my desire to write after our second miscarriage.  I finally am starting to feel the joy of writing return.

Vlogging was a scary venture to undertake.  Would anyone watch or would I just be talking to myself? I soon discovered that the fact if anyone actually watched was of little matter.  Being able to verbally express my feelings on YouTube was therapeutic.  The first dose of therapy is the actual recording process.  The second dose of therapy happens when I watch my own vlog. And the amazing third dose of therapy was when the community found me and showered me with love and support.  For this reason, I highly recommend vlogging- even if it is as a private journal that never is uploaded.  It truly has been a healing experience for me!

This sisterhood has given me an emotional outlet and unwavering support network of like-minded women who know how I feel and can relate and truly understand good and bad days.  I came to social media for information.  I stayed because of the support.  Thank you to my readers and subscribers for your encouragement and friendship. 


Please feel free to comment!  What brought you to the YouTube/FB/Blog community?  What keeps you here?  Feel free to share your channel or blog info.

3 comments:

  1. Like you I felt "found" after finding the YouTube community. I have learned so much from the people I've become friends with online. I started off meeting women from a forum called Baby and Bump, and through my many internet searches I found the YouTube community. It's been a year since my last miscarriage and only now have I started to feel a sense of joy come back into my life. The world is full of color again, not that I was depressed but surprisingly I lost my lust for life. I'm happy to see you finding that joy of writing return. I look forward to following your blog!

    - Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I found out I had PCOS I would check out forums from time to time. Then I got pregnant and wanted to see how big my belly would get each week so I found pregnancy vlogs. I suffered the loss of my child and I didn't know anyone who felt the way I did. At the time I didn't think anyone would discuss those types of feelings through blogging or vlogging. So I didn't get back into yt until I after I had my 2nd son. I needed support for breastfeeding since I had virtually none in my personal life. Along the way I became friends with so many women all of whom I have learned something from. I love that can agree with some and the ones I disagree with at least I get some insight about why they feel the way they do. I have had some setbacks with people in my personal life trying to ruin my outlet but I don't let it phase me. I love all the ladies I meet via yt and fb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited to read some posts from you. I am just now getting into the YT community (still not too connected there) but the blogosphere has been such a place of comfort for me. Our journey was long and tough, but the support I received was just beyond measure. Especially after our loss--there's just something you can't describe about the (unfortunate) comfort of knowing someone else actually "gets" it.

    Looking forward to reading more!
    Christina
    http://subfertilefrugalista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!